Pine Bark Extract
The bark of maritime pines is thick and grows in various shades of brown, orange, and red.
Pine bark extract plays a role in the protection of vitamin C and E and has shown to;
- Improve lung function in asthma patients
- Reduce platelet aggregation in smokers
- Dilate the small blood vessels in patients with cardiac disease
- Show immunomodulatory effects in Lupus patients
- Be an anti-hypertensive and anti-spasmodic, reducing abdominal menstrual symptoms
- Improve cognitive function, including reducing the symptoms of childhood ADHD.
Since then, numerous new studies have gone further in examining these processes and uncovering new ones. Although the OPCs in pine bark became known first for their antioxidant benefits, they also seem to be capable of anti-allergic, anti-carcinogenic, anti-inflammatory, and even anti-microbial activity in the human body.
Potential health benefits of taking a supplement containing pine bark extract as part of your daily routine;
- Alleviates oxidative stress by increasing the production of antioxidative enzymes that scavenge free radicals.
- As an anti-inflammatory, pine bark extract can decrease the amount of circulating inflammatory substances in the bloodstream.
- Improves the absorption of other antioxidants, especially vitamins C and E.
- Promotes wound healing by improving circulation and calming inflammation.
- Supports the immune system and helps to fight infection and prevent autoimmune responses, through a combination of antibacterial, anti-inflammatory, and antioxidant activity.
- Antibacterial; pine bark extract has been shown to stave off staphylococcal, E. coli, and pseudomonas bacterial infections.
- May lower blood pressure and improve poor circulation. Pine bark extract helps the body to produce nitric oxide, which improves circulation and relaxes blood vessels to lower blood pressure.
- As an analgesic, it has been shown to help reduce menstrual cramps.
- Promotes exercise endurance and reduces muscle fatigue in athletes, by reducing oxidative stress and therefore inflammation.
- May help with erectile dysfunction, according to one Japanese study, without the side effects of conventional medications.