Potassium is the third most abundant mineral in the body.
Roughly 98% of the potassium in your body is found in your cells. Of this, 80% is found in your muscle cells, while the other 20% can be found in your bones, liver, and red blood cells.
Once inside your body, it functions as an electrolyte. When in water, an electrolyte dissolves into positive or negative ions that can conduct electricity. Potassium ions carry a positive charge. Your body uses this electricity to manage a variety of processes, including fluid balance, nerve signals, and muscle contractions. Therefore, a low or high amount of electrolytes in the body can affect many crucial functions.
This mineral plays an essential role in activating nerve impulses throughout your nervous system. Nerve impulses help regulate muscle contractions, the heartbeat, reflexes, and many other processes.
Potassium levels have a significant effect on muscle contractions. Altered levels can cause muscle weakness, and in the heart, they may cause an irregular heartbeat.
A potassium-rich diet may reduce blood pressure and water retention, protect against strokes and help prevent osteoporosis and kidney stones.
This ingredient can be found in
Join our mailing list
Subscribe to receive the latest articles and promotions, straight to your inbox.